Thursday, December 19, 2013

New Kumihimo Necklace with Picasso Finish Seed Beads

We recently received these new Miyuki Picasso finish seed beads at the shop, in 2 different sizes and colors. As soon as I saw them, I wanted to make something with them immediately!

Blue Picasso 11/0 seed beads from Miyuki

These are the blue ones; we also received a gorgeous greenish brown color. These are 8/0s, and they are stunning. But as pretty as these are, you should see how the colors show off in the 6/0s!

The blue ones were calling my name, so I walked around the store trying to decide what to make with them, but couldn't find anything. So I headed for my bead stash, and there was the perfect lampwork bead! Of course - I know which beads to hoard!

I didn't want to dilute the impact of the Picasso finish, so I decided to make a kumihimo rope with the seed beads. I used copper findings to finish the 2 pieces of braided rope, and here's the result:


And here's a detail shot of the beautiful lampwork bead (sorry for the reflections - glass is so hard to photograph!)

richly colored and detailed lampwork bead

So now I want to go order the Picasso seed beads in ALL the colors and ALL the sizes!

And on a completely unrelated note, 2 weeks ago I managed to contaminate my brand new, large capacity Lortone tumbler AND all 6 pounds of stainless steel shot. But I didn't know at the time it was contaminated, so I let it sit, with the contamination and shot inside, until yesterday, when I decided to tumble a few chainmaille pieces to shine them up for wearing. They came out absolutely black and sticky, which is making me cry. Just hoping that if I ever get the tumbler and shot clean, I can clean up the sterling chainmaille again. I cannot believe how black it is! But I dunked one of the bracelets in vinegar briefly yesterday, and the tiniest bit of black came off, so I'm hopeful I can fix all of these. But what a mess! I have been trying to clean it for a day and a half now, using either vinegar or pickle, and tumbling away in 30 to 40 minute cycles (or longer, when I get distracted), and every time, black water goes down the drain, and there's just no end in sight! The barrel comes clean after just 2 cycles, but then when I try to clean the shot, it seems like I make no progress at all. Argggghhhhhhhhhhhh!

So, in between tumbling cycles today, I'll be weighing out and tubing 15/0 seed beads for the shop - I ordered every single iris blend available in 15/0s after being frustrated when trying to find exactly the right shade of 15/0 for a project I was doing 2 weeks ago. 

Oh yeah, my new Picasso Lampwork Kumihimo Necklace is available in my Etsy shop!

Happy Holidays!!

7 comments:

Karin Slaton said...

Those seed beads are stunning, all right. I'm always drawn to blue-green combinations, but then you added the cut-out copper end caps and drew me right back to that gorgeous focal. I love your work, but I love even more that I always learn something critical about design considerations when I study a Sweet Freedom design!

H.T. said...

Hello:-)
Very beautiful necklace-Lovely rope and the very interesting focal.Nice colors too.
Merry Christmas to You and Happy New Creative Year!
-Hugs-
-Halinka-

Sweet Freedom said...

Oh, Karin - that is so sweet! I feel the same way about your beautiful, well thought-out designs!

Happy Holidays!

PS: I saved some of these seed beads for you!

Sweet Freedom said...

Thank you, Halinka, and Happy Holidays to you, too!

Liz said...

Gorgeous necklace. I absolutely love the choice of seed bead and focal colors. I'm sorry to hear about your tumbler. I hope if you hang in there you get it all cleaned out. How frustrating for you.

Sweet Freedom said...

Thanks, Liz! It took 3 tedious days, but the tumbler and shot are now clean!

ShinyCat said...

If you have specific lighting you use for photography and a camera capable of accepting filters, polarizing your light and using a polarization filter on your lens will allow you to control the level of reflection on your artwork. The only flaw is that it totally flattens out metallics, turning silver to grey and gold to muddy brown.