Thursday, March 14, 2013

Freeform Netting Necklace Update

This is how my freeform netting necklace (WIP!) looks this morning (it's my first attempt at freeform netting; I started it a couple of weeks ago):





freeform netting WIP

freeform netting detail

The embellishment beads I'm adding are citrine (in about 7 different sizes, shapes, and colors - look at those gorgeous faceted citrine rounds in the pic above!), hessonite, and freshwater pearls.

The necklace is in the "ugly duckling" stage right  now, where I'm not loving it too much. I still love the colors, but the stitching just isn't there yet. But I know if I keep working with it, it will turn out fine! It's funny how freeform pieces almost always go through these "ugly duckling" phases!

I haven't been able to work on it as much as I'd like, so this project is stretching out, time-wise. I have to regroup and gather my thoughts on this one every time I sit down to work on it, because it's been so long since the last time I worked on it! I hate when my beading gets interrupted!

I somehow got the piece twisted yesterday as I was stitching the last row; I ended the row at the stop bead, instead of on the opposite side. Oops. I looked to see if it made a difference, and I couldn't really tell, due to the wandering freeform stitching I had been doing in the middle section (the embellished section). This wandering stitching was what let me lose my place to begin with, and it's what makes me love the look of freeform, but since this happened at the end of the day, and I was tired, I need to take a fresh look at it this morning. I'll either half to take out half a row (no big deal with netting) or I'll just pick up where I put it down last night, and keep stitching.

I need to make the side pieces a little wider, so they are more proportional to the clasp I plan to stitch for this piece. Then I'll embellish the sides, and continue working with the front.

When I finish this necklace, instead of putting all the beads away, I'm going to make a freeform bracelet to go with it (hopefully, accompanied by one of my beady bloggy friends!). I am really crazy about these neutral colors!

2 comments:

Therese's Treasures said...

Oh my I am loving what I am seeing so far I agree the colors you chose to uses are gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing it when it is finished.
Therese

Karin Slaton said...

Netting is quite possibly my favorite stitch, so I'm imagining just how much fun you must be having with this design. SO looking forward to seeing it in person!